Saturday, October 11, 2008

Cunnuflings...

Those of you that know me...know about cunnuflings. I know I have the spelling all wrong and they have been many other things by my friends. This is a childhood recipe that my dad would make and would always serve with a pork tenderloin and peppercorn gravy. I had to have these on my birthday..and while in college I made these all the time as my comfort food. If you have any questions about the recipe let me know....it took me a couple of times to make them right. :)

2 cups Flour
1 egg
3/4 cup water (give or take)
1 small onion
1 package of peppercorn gravy mix (I would make 2 packets if you like gravy)

In a medium sized mixing bowl add flour, water, and egg. Mix together. You will want the mixture to be sticky and thick...just a bit thicker then waffle mix. To get the desired thickness you may need to add water a little bit at a time until you get that thick sticky consistency that you are wanting. If it gets to be to thin just add a little flour. Sometimes you will just have to go back and forth.

Bring a large pot of water to boil. Once boiling and you have your mixture ready. Spoon dumpling mixture out of bowl (spoon out like you are making cookies). Drop the mixture spoonful at a time into boiling water. Add only the amount of mixture until it covers the bottom of the pot.

While dumplings are cooking have a medium pan ready to go with chopped onions sauteing in olive oil. The dumplings will rise to the top of the pot when they are done (You may need to give them a little hand with a light stir in the pot to stop them from sticking to the pot). Once dumplings have risen use a slotted spoon to remove and shake access water out. Place each dumpling as they are done into frying pan with onions. You will keep repeating this process until all the mixture is done.

In the long run what you want is the dumplings to be a light golden brown and have a little crisp to them. Make peppercorn gravy according to directions and serve.

No comments: